North Shore Sprint Triathlon

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Training Program vs. Bartl's Goals






When I logged on to write this and saw the countdown at the top of the page, I realized I have less than three months until the big day. The training has seemed to go by very quickly, and I know the days leading up to the race will slip past me even faster if I allow it happen.

While I've kept up with the training - especially as a beginner - I'm having the feeling that I haven't done enough and need to work harder. As I mentioned in a previous post, I put a lot of pressure on myself and set expectations high. Not just with training for my first sprint triathlon, but always. The race won't forgive me for losing days of training by not fighting through the obstacles put in front of me - no matter how unavoidable.

This weekend I had the honor of being a groomsman at my buddy Brad's wedding. The amount of fun I had was well worth not being able to train for three days, but at the same time they are days lost that I can't get back. I ate, drank and let loose, ignoring the training program for the entire weekend. These things are going to happen when your good friend gets married, and there won't ever be a single regret for having a good time and not sticking to a strict training plan.

The main thing is how you respond to any type of "setback." I woke up this morning after a day of recovery from the wedding and ran 2.5 miles with a time I'm proud of at this point. I can feel my endurance level rising as I get back into the running shape I was at this point last year. Earlier last week I didn't let the poor weather get my down. I got up, went to the gym and did my own version of a mini triathlon. I swam for a half hour, rode 10 miles on the stationary bike and ran two miles on the treadmill. It was the closest thing I could get to a simulation for the event and felt good doing it.

My main problem right now is that I had a mishap with my bike. I set off to ride my bike to work - roughly 18 miles from Chicago to Northbrook - and didn't get even a quarter mile until a bungee cord snapped off my bag and wrapped itself around the chain hub. My dad hopefully will be able to fix it tonight when he comes by, but if he can't I'm stuck on the stationary at the gym until I can get it fixed. The stationary is a poor replacement for biking outside over hills and also finding a rhythm with speed. It's just something else I have to fight through.

Last week before the wedding I was on a roll with my training and felt myself coming along. I dropped another couple pounds down to 147, putting me at 11 pounds lost over the course of the training. I am going to begin incorporating light weight training to build my muscle endurance, which the program calls for me to do.

So here we go. Less than 90 days until the race, and I have a little catching up to do - maybe not within the program, but to bring myself to my own satisfaction. And really, if I have that kind of mental attitude without over-working myself, I think I'll be in good shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment